[Yum-devel] Logging (no excitement)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 31 16:23:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:53 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> I dont know if this patch is the right way to go, it breaks the logging
> in the yum API,

The plan is to really break the API anyway for yum 3.0.  Things like
unifying rpmdb handling with package sacks, etc will necessitate changes
in all users.

> Programs using the API like yumex overloads the
> log, error, filelog methods in yumbase to redirect the log output fx. to
> a TextView, other application build on the yum API. yum utils, pup,
> pirut might be affected too.

FWIW, pup and pirut aren't impacted as I just have to reimplement doing
output of them to stderr.  The yum-utils I've looked at fall into the
same category.

> A better way to implement this kind of logging is to build some kind of
> wrapper there translates the log,erorlog,filelog into python logging.
> Then the API will not be broken.

That's not really doable -- after trying to convert a custom logging
system to sit on top of python logging once, it's just not worth the
pain

Jeremy