[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Fri May 26 18:47:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:24:22PM -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:39 -0400, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> > > Large parts of yum (including urlgrabber) do not work for <2.2, so
> > > there's no point in aiming lower.
> >
> > I just tried yum 2.6.0 on python 2.2 - no luck. sets does not exist in python
> > 2.2.
>
> I don't think there is extensive use of sets in yum on HEAD it looks
> like:
>
> ./rpmUtils/transaction.py
>
> in a function that is only used in yum-utils, so you should be able to
> hack around it to test basic python compat.

Replacing the sets.Set class with:

class Set(list):
    def add(self, item):
        if item not in self:
            self.append(item)

seems to fix it for me - which uncovers the next problem.

yum/config.py: usage of yield(). Fixable with a

from __future__ import generators

But then, in yum/parser.py, looks like shlex does't have a split method in
python 2.2

At this point, I would venture to claim that yum does not work on python 2.2
without major changes - is it fair to concentrate only on 2.3 and later?

Misa