[Yum-devel] yum devel series and help needed

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Thu May 25 11:17:18 UTC 2006

Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 15:44 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>> - rpmdb as packagesack (or at least begin alternate interface work)
>
> Is the attached implementation something along the line of what you guys
> expect? Or did I just totally misunderstood it?
>
> It's quite far from being finished and isn't plugged into the yum code
> yet, I just wanted to make sure I understand the task correctly.

I think this is on the right track. Nice. I was going to have a look at
this but you've beaten me to it.

One thing I'd like to see with this class is that the rpmdb is only
opened when absolutely required. Yum currently opens the rpmdb early on
and keeps it open as packages are downloaded. Because of the way rpm
does signal handling, this breaks the CTRL-C handling during downloads.

It would be nice if the rpmdb was only opened when required, perhaps
every method call if that wasn't too expensive or problematic. Failing
that we might need a mechanism to explicitly close the rpmdb and have it
automatically opened on the next method call.

This would allow us to finally close the bugs related to CTRL-C handling.

Menno