[Yum-devel] yum devel series and help needed

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed May 24 19:44:41 UTC 2006

Hi folks,
 we should probably start pruning through some of the things we talked
about before for this devel series soon.

Here are the items I think we talked about in brief-form. Pick from them
at will:

Stuff we talked about doing for this series:
- remove libxml2
- zap out repomd dir
- jbowes' new logging of excitement?
- tambet's work
- check out all patches to anything < HEAD that need to be ported up
   - provides fix
   - obs on install
- add repo objects inside package objects to facilitate packages more
simply
  retrieving themselves and mirror handling
- rpmdb as packagesack (or at least begin alternate interface work)
- make yum-utils work
- find out what, if any, plugins will break
- quick items:
  - YUM_PID_FILE in constants

- error handling

fun things that could be done:
 - transaction process recording (for restarting/finishing a
transaction)
 - make for downloading arbitrary-keyword-identified data from
repomd.xml - needs
   related code in createrepo
 - simplifying setup code (do*Setup() methods)
 - make building and running a transaction simpler for non-cli
interfaces
 - create a yum-util 'module' for storing commonly used code for
yum-utils.

If you have something you want to work on, now is the time, API be
damned!