[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu May 18 15:54:21 UTC 2006

Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

>> the gpg-key might have role to play in this scenario, but... you'd need
>> that portion worked around anyway for this zeroconf setup.
>
> The gpg key has a critical importance here. Note that I am not proposing we
> fetch the full repository definition over DNS. You still need an entry in your
> /etc/yum.repos.d/ with a pointer to a valid GPG key. Nothing changed there.
>
> Misa

lets see something working in some manner on both announcer and user
end, I am not yet convinced anyone is going to achieve anything much here.

if you have large enough numbers for local repo's etc - in most cases
you are already doing kickstart / scripted installs, adding local repo
definitions at such time, then becomes trivial - and is how most of us
are doing it at this time.

w.r.t dns poison - most people have specific prevention / trapping rules
in their ids for this sort of a thing. I am not sure how a zeroconf sort
of a service announcer will be handled ( mainly because i dont know
enough about it ).