[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Thu May 18 15:36:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:21:26AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 11:07 -0400, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> > > but you could have that url listed in the .repo file's baseurl= line, if
> > > its not available it wont be considered by fastestmirror. And when it
> > > does connect / lookup, it comes into play.
> >
> > What I am trying to accomplish with this is "zeroconf" - don't touch config
> > files if you don't have to.
> >
> > Sure, you could manually set your IP address, but isn't DHCP nicer?
> >
> > Hope the analogy makes sense.
>
> At the risk of being a neo-luddite - can you name a single critical
> service that has successfully been deployed using zeroconf?

Not on Linux (at least I don't know of any), but I think Macs have quite a few.

The desktop is already using avahi, I believe you can fetch samba mounts
through it already (haven't tried since I don't have one available, but I
believe I remember seeing snapshots of nautilus doing that).

Plus, my definition of zeroconf is "don't touch configuration files". NIS,
nsswitch.conf, PAM etc are all examples of network-aware services that "just
work". Sure, you have to configure them initially, but further changes just
get imported automatically.

zeroconf as in DNS-SD (plus link-local, multicast DNS etc) is just the
implementation I chose for this - as long as I achieve the same functionality
I don't necessarily care what I use. DNS-SD is, for better or for worse, a
standard. jabberd implements dns-sd, there are probably other projects out
there doing that.

Misa