[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Thu May 18 15:26:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 04:18:02PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> >>>
> >> but you could have that url listed in the .repo file's baseurl= line, if
> >> its not available it wont be considered by fastestmirror. And when it
> >> does connect / lookup, it comes into play.
> >
> > What I am trying to accomplish with this is "zeroconf" - don't touch config
> > files if you don't have to.
> >
> > Sure, you could manually set your IP address, but isn't DHCP nicer?
> >
> > Hope the analogy makes sense.
>
> sure,
>
> so i could walk into a building, plug my laptop in, and expose a repo
> for all $Distro servers, with a higher-than-released-upstream EVR for
> their glibc, and then All-your-bases-are-belong-to-me after the nightly
> yum-update.

You could walk into the same building, plug your laptop in, DHCP serves a
dummy DNS server that resolves all the hosts in the mirrorlist to
my-bad-server.example.com, and you're in the same boat. If you can't trust DNS
and DHCP you're kind of screwed anyway.

> the gpg-key might have role to play in this scenario, but... you'd need
> that portion worked around anyway for this zeroconf setup.

The gpg key has a critical importance here. Note that I am not proposing we
fetch the full repository definition over DNS. You still need an entry in your
/etc/yum.repos.d/ with a pointer to a valid GPG key. Nothing changed there.

Misa