[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu May 18 15:18:02 UTC 2006

Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 04:03:23PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>> That only helps if the mirror is a public one... if it's one just for
>>> local users, you can't list it in a mirror list and so fastest-mirror
>>> can't help
>>>
>> but you could have that url listed in the .repo file's baseurl= line, if
>> its not available it wont be considered by fastestmirror. And when it
>> does connect / lookup, it comes into play.
>
> What I am trying to accomplish with this is "zeroconf" - don't touch config
> files if you don't have to.
>
> Sure, you could manually set your IP address, but isn't DHCP nicer?
>
> Hope the analogy makes sense.

sure,

so i could walk into a building, plug my laptop in, and expose a repo
for all $Distro servers, with a higher-than-released-upstream EVR for
their glibc, and then All-your-bases-are-belong-to-me after the nightly
yum-update.

the gpg-key might have role to play in this scenario, but... you'd need
that portion worked around anyway for this zeroconf setup.

- KB