[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu May 18 13:45:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 08:52 -0400, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> Now, another interesting application for zeroconf that might actually make
> sense is distributed caching. If you are in a network where people downloaded
> the packages already, you might be looking at other people's cache first.
>
> But wait...
>
> http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumTodont
>
> (first entry).
>
> Plus, an inherrent security problem still exits (what if I download something
> from a yum repo that requires authentication of some sort - I won't
> necessarily want to share the package from my cache).
>
> Tossing-ideas-around-ly,

I think we're getting into the pie-in-the-sky useful for 7 people, ever,
area of features.

It makes more sense to me to focus on things we know people will use and
not the theoretical feature that even after it is written people will
need to be educated and talked into using.

Let's not write features that are just going to a maintenance bear.