[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Thu May 18 12:52:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 12:58:54AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:22 -0400, Bret McMillan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 14:20 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > > Useful? Maybe - but only to large enterprises where folks have some
> > > control/influence over DNS
> > >
> > > It seems like something that would only be useful for a small subset of
> > > folks, though. Why not implement it as a plugin as a proof of concept.
> > > You could mangle the repositories before they're up using the prerepo
> > > slot.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > avahai stuff seems interesting in 2 general ways to me:
> >
> > 1)  corporate enterprise-y setting that has dns control, essentially
> > named lookup of services:  "What is the cannonical place for a
> > predetermined set of content?"
> >
> > 2)  mobile use case:  misa & seth end up @ PyCON, seth has a bunch of
> > damn useful rpms; how do you make it easy for misa to snag them?  "What
> > various content is available to me?"
> >
> > #1 would be cool and all for stuff like registration and/or mirroring,
> > but I can't really think of much beyond that.  My gut says #2 could
> > prove a lot more interesting.
>
> I'm not sure I follow how #2 could happen and be safe/secure at all.

I tend to think the mobile use case is something that can be solved much
easier with just sharing a URL over IRC. Security is indeed an issue.

Now, another interesting application for zeroconf that might actually make
sense is distributed caching. If you are in a network where people downloaded
the packages already, you might be looking at other people's cache first.

But wait...

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumTodont

(first entry).

Plus, an inherrent security problem still exits (what if I download something
from a yum repo that requires authentication of some sort - I won't
necessarily want to share the package from my cache).

Tossing-ideas-around-ly,
Misa