[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

Bret McMillan bretm at redhat.com
Tue May 16 19:22:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 14:20 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> Useful? Maybe - but only to large enterprises where folks have some
> control/influence over DNS
>
> It seems like something that would only be useful for a small subset of
> folks, though. Why not implement it as a plugin as a proof of concept.
> You could mangle the repositories before they're up using the prerepo
> slot.
>
> What do you think?

avahai stuff seems interesting in 2 general ways to me:

1)  corporate enterprise-y setting that has dns control, essentially
named lookup of services:  "What is the cannonical place for a
predetermined set of content?"

2)  mobile use case:  misa & seth end up @ PyCON, seth has a bunch of
damn useful rpms; how do you make it easy for misa to snag them?  "What
various content is available to me?"

#1 would be cool and all for stuff like registration and/or mirroring,
but I can't really think of much beyond that.  My gut says #2 could
prove a lot more interesting.

--Bret