[Yum-devel] zeroconf-like discovery of repos

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue May 16 18:20:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 11:53 -0400, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here's a scenario that I've been thinking about, and wanted to get an idea how
> useful it would be for other people.
>
> I happen to have a local mirror of some yum repositories. Since the mirror is
> behind the firewall, it's not accessible to the rest of the world, so no
> reason for it to live on the mirrorlist.
>
> However, if I plug my laptop in the network I'd like to get my updates from my
> fast mirror, and if I go home I want to follow the regular route.
>
> Me changing the file in yum.repos.d is sort of inconvenient. That's why I
> think this would be a good case for service discovery.
>

> Does this sound useful?

Useful? Maybe - but only to large enterprises where folks have some
control/influence over DNS

It seems like something that would only be useful for a small subset of
folks, though. Why not implement it as a plugin as a proof of concept.
You could mangle the repositories before they're up using the prerepo
slot.

What do you think?