[Yum-devel] groupreq in yum-2.6?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat May 13 14:14:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 16:29 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Instead of "only used by yum (cli application)" I'd rather see it as
> > "implemented in yum libs, used where it makes sense" kind of thing: I
> > think it'd be a pretty cool native kickstart feature but doesn't really
> > make sense for pirut. And certainly I'd want to add support for it in
> > repoquery so you can easily see what would actually get installed with
> > your profile definitions etc.

I think this fits in well with my thoughts of more metadata files for
things like this and having official and unofficial extensions.  Also,
the more I think about it, the more I like that as the unofficial things
gives a good way to play with new features (like this) without tying
down implementation details right away.

> It's a weird location for it - but I'd think of naming it something
> like:
> <collection>

Collection has a different meaning to me due to silliness with the Red
Hat internal buildsys, but I can see it making some degree of sense.
But does something like, eg, groupset make more sense?  eg, make it
explicit *exactly* what we're talking about.

> then the operations on them would be:
[snip]

*nod*  looks about right.  We could even implement it as a plugin ;)

> my questions are:
> 1. does that make sense here
> 2. is the collection name sensible
> 3. will that screw up the thoughts for anaconda and friends?

I think that making it higher level and explicitly separating it out
starts to make sense as you can have different apps caring about
different "representations" of things, as it were.  And that's fine.

Jeremy