[Yum-devel] groupreq in yum-2.6?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat May 13 14:02:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 12:29 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 11:59 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 09:35 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> > So a couple of solutions:
> >
> > 1. we add in a profile tag to the comps parsing that is just a way of
> > collecting groups and is only used by yum. Not as tidy b/c it seems like
> > it might be the wrong place for it.
>
> Indeed, the more that I think about it I think that categories should be
> moved outside of comps.xml too, both are site/distro specific and not
> really core package grouping functionality.  They're together at the
> moment mainly because of the historical relationship between anaconda
> and comps.

Indeed, I'm coming to that conclusion too.  But that means there needs
to be an easy way to extend what files are available in the repo
metadata.  We want to be able to have, eg, <data type="grouphierarchy">
(categories) and <data type="profiles"> (these uses of groupreq).  As
well as anything else that someone may have a site-specific need for.
And possibly the thing to do is having parsing for a few Well-Defined
(tm) files in the yum/repomd base and allow adding new ones as x-foo,
where the parsing for x-foo has to be done in the end app.

I think this could be a pretty elegant way to actually let repomd grow
nicely into containing more information needed for system management
while at the same time, not having yum itself grow out of control and
trying to take over all aspects of system administration.

Jeremy