[Yum-devel] groupreq in yum-2.6?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri May 12 20:29:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 11:26 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > 1. we add in a profile tag to the comps parsing that is just a way of
> > collecting groups and is only used by yum. Not as tidy b/c it seems like
> > it might be the wrong place for it.
> > 2. use something like glump to create yum shell scripts that you then
> > pass to yum:
> >  so like above:
> >   groupinstall phy-base
> >   groupinstall phy-backups
> >   groupinstall phy-gui-tools
> >   groupinstall phy-math-crap
> >   run
> >
> > would be the yum shell script for my phy-workstation profile.
>
> I like the idea of separate profile tag. The needs are rather different
> from interactive anaconda/pirut-type use, so make it a separate tag, and
> "profiles" is exactly what this type of usage is all about really.
>
> Instead of "only used by yum (cli application)" I'd rather see it as
> "implemented in yum libs, used where it makes sense" kind of thing: I
> think it'd be a pretty cool native kickstart feature but doesn't really
> make sense for pirut. And certainly I'd want to add support for it in
> repoquery so you can easily see what would actually get installed with
> your profile definitions etc.

It's a weird location for it - but I'd think of naming it something
like:
<collection>
  <id>mycollection</id>
  <grouplist>
    <group>foo</group>
    <group>bar</group>
    <group>baz</group>
  </grouplist>
</collection>

then the operations on them would be:

yum collection install mycollection

which would do a groupinstall on all the groups in that collection.

yum collection remove mycollection

which would do a groupremove on all the groups in that collection

yum collection update mycollection
which would do a groupupdate on all the groups in that collection

my questions are:
1. does that make sense here
2. is the collection name sensible
3. will that screw up the thoughts for anaconda and friends?