[Yum-devel] groupreq in yum-2.6?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Fri May 12 13:20:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:58 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:50 -0400, Brian Long wrote:

> > > The new comps.xml format does not use group requirements.  You should be
> > > able to convert your comps.xml format to that used by yum 2.6.
> >
> > I understand a feature in comps.xml was removed that I found useful and
> > I use on thousands of nodes daily.  Why was the comps.xml file changed
> > to remove useful functionality?  Where was this discussed - on internal
> > Red Hat lists?
> >

> iirc most of it was discussed on irc and jabber b/t me and jeremy and
> paul.
>
> I'm torn on how to solve the problem:
>
> on the one hand it would be easy to add a tag into the 2.6 parsing to
> handle what you're looking for.
>
> on the other hand there is some merit in saying that it is the wrong
> tool to handle that problem.
>
> I'm inclined to believe that there may be a third way but I don't know
> what it is, yet.

Alright, let me see how we can accommodate these changes in our
environment.  We still haven't decided if we'll pursue RHEL 5 as soon as
it comes out or wait until Update 1 or 2 like we did with RHEL 4.  :)

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.