[Yum-devel] groupreq in yum-2.6?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri May 12 12:58:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:50 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:47 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:12 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > A few weeks ago, I discussed our need for groupreq to return in yum-2.6
> > > since we rely on it heavily in our 5,000+ node installation of RHEL 3
> > > and 4.  Has there been any thought into re-introducing groupreq into
> > > yum-2.6?  Should I open a bugzilla?
> >
> > The new comps.xml format does not use group requirements.  You should be
> > able to convert your comps.xml format to that used by yum 2.6.
>
> I understand a feature in comps.xml was removed that I found useful and
> I use on thousands of nodes daily.  Why was the comps.xml file changed
> to remove useful functionality?  Where was this discussed - on internal
> Red Hat lists?

iirc most of it was discussed on irc and jabber b/t me and jeremy and
paul.

I'm torn on how to solve the problem:

on the one hand it would be easy to add a tag into the 2.6 parsing to
handle what you're looking for.

on the other hand there is some merit in saying that it is the wrong
tool to handle that problem.

I'm inclined to believe that there may be a third way but I don't know
what it is, yet.