[Yum-devel] some outstanding bugs to think about for devel

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu May 11 06:09:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Leslie Satenstein wrote:

> Please think about this problem that I have had twice. Once I solved it
> by a complete reinstall of the system, the second time by some luck.
>
> YUM is as critical to updates as a /boot partition and a backout kernel
> version is to booting.
>
> When the system crashes, we have a recovery cd.  But when YUM crashes,
> and it has, for whatever reason, we need a recovery version of yum to be
> installable. This recovery version would restore yum to an earlier
> version, and hopefully with that, we will be home free.
>
> versionlock  failed on my system because there was no file called
> versionlock.list.   Doing a touch using the error message, identifying
> the file solved the problem. Oftentimes however, the error message is
> nonsense.
>
> So please note that versionlock plugin fails if the listfile is missing.

The versionlock plugin aborting on missing versionlock file is by design.

If somebody sets up version locking on their systems they care obviously a
lot about the exact versions that get installed on the system. Now,
suppose you set up the versionlock file to be retrieved from a central web
server over http, and because of whatever temporary network / server
failure causes the versionlock file to be unreachable. If the plugin
continued without the file, there would be no version locks and the system
would get updated to whatever available versions, which is not what you
want if you have version locking set up.

If you don't use version locking, don't install the plugin, simple as
that.

 	- Panu -