[Yum-devel] metadata parser in C

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Wed May 10 19:04:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:39:50AM -0400, James Bowes wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> >in addition to post-shower thoughts it occurred to me to do:
> >
> >put the c-based parser into a separate package so that the c code can be
> >isolated there and the base yum pkg doesn't have to stop being noarch.
> >

> To take it even further, it could be a C library that just happens to
> also ship python bindings...
>
> Cool work, Tambet.

Agreed.  How about the following:

  a) a separate package containing a C library with python bindings
  b) by default, yum uses it if present, otherwise uses the built-in
     python version
  c) config file option to force the use of one or the other

This will address several concerns:

  1) maintenance of this code won't be a show-stopper for yum.  This
     is not just an issue of finding someone to maintain it, but it's
     a fairly large change and who knows what problems we'll run into.
  2) yum stays no-arch - this is easy for people with wacky archs.
     They can package/compile it if they can and want to, or they can
     just stick with the built-in at a slight performance hit.
  3) for debugging and list-based help, we can easily say "try the
     other parser by..."

Other thoughts:

  :) yum should log which parser it's using - mostly to facilitate
     mailing list discussions
  ;) it could also be implemented as a plugin
  =) I like lists.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G