[Yum-devel] metadata parser in C

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed May 10 15:41:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 10:39 -0400, James Bowes wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > in addition to post-shower thoughts it occurred to me to do:
> >
> > put the c-based parser into a separate package so that the c code can be
> > isolated there and the base yum pkg doesn't have to stop being noarch.
> >

> To take it even further, it could be a C library that just happens to
> also ship python bindings...

Okay so I think the general consensus is positive from folks so let's
figure out what needs to happen to integrate it.

First, Tambet, are you interested in maintaining this code going forward
or are you just dropping it off and not wanting to maintain it? Either
is fine it's just best if we have an idea up front, of course.

For any one else, too, who want to get this integrated I think this is
roughly what needs to happen:

1. callback mechanism for the processing
2. error reporting
3. exceptions being thrown
4. change the filelists sqlite format to speed up searches
5. putting it together into a python module and an rpm
6. testing all the edge cases and common use
7. pulling out all the obsoleted code from yum.

does that sound roughly right?