[Yum-devel] metadata parser in C

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed May 10 13:21:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 15:45 +0300, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> email message attachment, "Forwarded message - [Yum] metadata parser
> in C"

Hi Tambet,
 Thanks for fwding this onto this list - it's just a better place for
the discussion and a number of folks who are developers aren't on
yum-list b/c it's mostly for user questions.

Also thanks for working on this, it looks cool. I'm going to give you
some initial thoughts and since I've just jumped out of the shower some
extended thoughts, too. So take all of it inclusively and we'll see what
comes out, okay?

Initial thoughts:
 Yay Speed!!!
 Ugh! C.
 Hey, look, someone from ximian contributing, cool.

I like the initial speed results you've posted - those look great but
all of the parsing being in C concerns me some if only due to
maintenance issues.  It's not necessarily a show-stopper just a
show-complicator. :)

Post-shower thoughts:
 - If we have the speed up granted by your code then we can rework the
sqlite db format (especially for filelists) to vastly simplify and speed
up our all of the 'whatProvides' calls that have to look up files. This
makes depsolving faster.
 - the metadata parsing code is, for obvious reasons, some of the least
changed code in yum. So modifying it wouldn't be a massively frequent
concern
 - this makes all of the metadata importing code obsolete (to some
extent) which does get rid of a bunch of code that has needed some
quailty time with an editor. In short it is a parallel thought to a goal
for the development series.

So that's the majority of what I've been thinking of right now. What do
other folks think?