[Yum-devel] kernel-module, fedorakmod plugin status

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue May 9 21:27:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 23:05 +0200, Christoph Thiel wrote:

> > > Are you talking about the -kmp (kernel module packages) packages? We
> > > don't have any yum plugin for those.
> >
> > Yes I was.  Would you (or someone) be interested in co-ordinating a
> > plugin, it should be relatively straight forward.
>
> What would be the feature set that you'd expect from a plugin like that?
> Most (if not all) features of the -kmp packages should be working without
> any plugin with yum, IIUC. The only feature I could think of, would be a
> plugin to autoselect -kmp packages for installation, if the modinfo(...)
> provides of the -kmp match some hardware of the system.

I think there are basically three cases to consider:
1) initial installation, the latest installed isn't necessarily what's
running on the system so it easily leads to confusion.
2) pull in a new matching version of the kernel module package when the
kernel itself gets updated
3) updates to the kernel module itself within a single kernel version

2 is the easy part, 3 can be handled with a bit of complexity, for 1
there's no good answer (except install the module for every installed
kernel version)

The runtime dependency probes of rpm >= 4.4.3 are kinda interesting wrt
kernel modules for case 1) as you can have something like
Requires: uname(release) = 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
in a kernel module pkgs.. but making use of that in the depsolver isn't
necessarily that straightforward :-/

	- Panu -