[Yum-devel] kernel-module, fedorakmod plugin status

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Tue May 9 21:05:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Paul Nasrat wrote:

> > > What's the current status for handling kernel modules in yum?  I
> > > know we have a couple of plugins in yum-utils and we used to have
> > > some code in depsolve.py that got moved out in February.  Is the
> > > plan that they are in a plugin
> > >
> > > Has anyone looked at the SuSE kernel module packaging and if they
> > > have a yum plugin for that.
> >
> > Are you talking about the -kmp (kernel module packages) packages? We
> > don't have any yum plugin for those.
>
> Yes I was.  Would you (or someone) be interested in co-ordinating a
> plugin, it should be relatively straight forward.

What would be the feature set that you'd expect from a plugin like that?
Most (if not all) features of the -kmp packages should be working without
any plugin with yum, IIUC. The only feature I could think of, would be a
plugin to autoselect -kmp packages for installation, if the modinfo(...)
provides of the -kmp match some hardware of the system.

Regards
	Christoph