[Yum-devel] kernel-module, fedorakmod plugin status

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue May 9 20:13:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 15:57 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> What's the current status for handling kernel modules in yum?  I know we
> have a couple of plugins in yum-utils and we used to have some code in
> depsolve.py that got moved out in February.  Is the plan that they are
> in a plugin

IIRC the plan was indeed to have kernel module handling in a plugin
because it's .. such a mess where everybody has their own standard. The
"kernel-module" plugin from yum-utils works for old fedora.us/livna.org
style modules, fedorakmod is for the current FE standard AFAIK.

> Has anyone looked at the SuSE kernel module packaging and if they have a
> yum plugin for that.

I think I saw some draft from Suse, they're doing something Completely
Different (tm). Surprise :) So really, I think the idea of having
plugins handle the very very special case of kernel modules is the only
sane answer.

	- Panu -