[Yum-devel] YUM recovery is also a development requirement.

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Mar 26 15:36:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 07:30 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I upgraded a package other than yum, and the upgrade overwrote one or
> more files that yum required. The end result was that, yum/pup/kyum
> was broken. I could not get it to run. It could not find a compiled
> module and I really had no tar backup of the system to use to
> restore.
>
> As an amateur linuxer, I found the quickest way for me to recover, was
> to re-
> install Core 5. This prompted me to realize how critical a component
> to Fedora Core is YUM,  Without it, the system is frozen at too soon
> a level before being deemed legacy.
>
> I would like to see YUM have a  "Recover YUM"  option on a rescue cd,
> or at least, that YUM be installed, with separate binaries and
> dependencies, away from  freshrpms, dags, or other 3rd party
> downloads that could corrupt binaries common to YUM.
>
> Do you have any comments about your experiences in this area? I would
> love to see a special YUM repair utility. It would also suit many
> other users purposes.

this is really an issue for the distribution developers, not for
yum-devel. Yum will happily upgrade itself into oblivion simply b/c
that's what it is supposed to do. There's no guarantee that the pkgs
will work after they're installed on that they have been installed and
that all their dependencies are met.