[Yum-devel] creating an updates repository

Jason Pepas cell at ices.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 23 21:03:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to create an "updates" repository, but I can't figure out what
causes yum to see a package as an "update", rather than just a regular
package.

here is my use case:  I want to have an "approved" updates repository.  I want
all of the machines to automatically install updates each night via cron, but
only after I have tested the updates.

I populated a directory with update rpms, setup anonymous ftp, ran createrepo,
and setup a yum.repos.d entry on the clients.  However, when I run yum
check-update, it doesn't think there are any updates available.

What am I missing here?  Is there a special process for creating an "updates"
repository?

thanks,
jason pepas