[Yum-devel] RFE: Single source of metadata, but use mirrorlist for packages

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Mar 5 01:28:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 19:36 +0100, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> For not the first time, I just did the following to get today's Fedora
> rawhide updates:
> - Edit fedora-devel.repo to point only to download.fedora.redhat.com
> - yum clean metadata
> - yum check-update
> - Edit fedora-devel.repo to use the mirrorlist again
> - yum update
>
> Basically, the problem was that the mirror I happened to get the
> metadata from initially wasn't synchronised with the latest packages,
> so I forced it to download the metadata from the master server and
> then let it choose a mirror to do the update.
>
> Is it realistic to add something like this to yum? So you could
> specify the master site as the source of metadata, but download the
> packages from any up-to-date mirror to avoid killing the master
> completely.
>
> (If the response is "write a plug-in" ... I can try, but my Python
> skills are not great. :) )

I think I don't entirely understand what you want. It sounds like the
problem you're having is mirrors are sometimes out of sync and the
fedora mirroring network has a number of crappy mirrors on it.

If so I would recommend you making your own mirrorlist and just saving
it into a dir somewhere. Then referencing it from your yum repo files
like:

mirrorlist=file:///some/path/to/the/file

that gets rid of the problem but still lets you use the non-crappy
mirrors.

and, in the long run, various fedora folks are working on making the
mirror lists be much more reliable and populated with trustworthy
mirrors.