[Yum-devel] RFC: Option to remove packages after installation

Thomas Springer th.springer at gmx.net
Sat Mar 4 03:45:32 UTC 2006

Pekka Pietikainen:
> > Well. Totally cleaning out cache after update is pretty evil, since
> > occasionally you end up with a totally broken package that makes your
> > box unusable. Maybe a "clean all but the last X package versions"
> > option/plugin would be the way to go. That way you can revert quickly
> > yet you don't have a bunch of really old packages cluttering your
> > /var/cache/yum.

Then how to define X. I think the "really old package" will be almost every
time the package you want to revert to in case of a broken update.

Jeremy Katz:
> I run the development tree all the time and I can't remember the last
> time I had a package update make my box _completely_ unusable.  And
> realistically, if you get stuck in that situation, you're already pretty
> hosed if you're just a casual user :-/

For myself i will not set this option to "0", but consider cleaning out
cached packages thru yum a good idea. Indeed i would prefer a plugin
like 'keeponlyn++', which keeps one package to roll-back. I also would
provide code asap.

I want to believe only b/c that isn't very efficient wrt diskspace, this
option might be desirable for others.

Regards,
Thomas