[Yum-devel] heads-up: sqlite vs. sqlite3 in python 2.5

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Thu Jun 22 21:53:34 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've built python 2.5 beta1 packages, and I happened to notice that now
sqlite3 is included in the main python distribution.

As it turns out, it's not the same thing as python-sqlite. The new module is
named sqlite3, it has a different interface and different paramstyles (qmark
instead of pyformat).

Right now I don't know when 2.5 will hit Fedora rawhide, so the sky is not
falling (yet). But it's an interesting question what we do when that happens -
if yum converts to sqlite3 we may have to kick python-sqlite into Extras (but
this is not the proper mailing list to discuss that).

You can install and play with these packages side by side with the stock
python 2.4.3, since they have a different name.

Yum repos available at:

http://people.redhat.com/misa/rpms/python-2.5-rawhide/

If you feel adventurous and want to try it out, please let me know if and what
breaks :-)

Cheers,
Misa