[Yum-devel] Exposing HTTP headers in YumRepository

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Tue Jul 18 14:23:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 10:20 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 10:17 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 13:58 -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> >
> > > The ideas I'm working with that would make use of these hooks but would in no
> > > way be a part of Yum.
> > >
> > > Frankly, I'm interested in an open source project to manage linux
> > > machines similar to RHN or ZLM that's opens source and that doesn't
> > > horridly suck.  (Although I admit to not being very knowledgable of
> > > ZLM.)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > We used (or tried to use) Red Carpet and ZLM for over 2 years.  We
> > eventually gave up and moved to Yum because of corrupt RPM dbs cropping
> > up everywhere.
> >
> > The biggest feature I miss from ZLM is the ability to offer individual
> > packages to individual hosts (like licensed software).  Internally we
> > have a custom web app that tracks licensed software and charges your
> > dept. for it (i.e. Visio, DreamWeaver, etc).  I'd like to be able to
> > offer CrossOver Office bottles (RPMs) of licensed software via yum and
> > track it by individual user / host.  Nice to dream.  Right now, there
> > are many users stuck running Windows only because my team cannot offer
> > them one or two licensed apps on Linux / CrossOver.
>
> why not put those packages in a repo then have yum use an:
>
> include=http://some/cgi in a repo file.
>
> then the cgi looks if they are registered to have that repo - if so it
> hands them back the text to that repo, if not, then they don't get it.

Seth,

That sounds like a good start, but what stops every user from browsing
my yum repos manually and just downloading the RPM?  :)  With ZLM, you
couldn't access the "channel" unless you were authenticated.  I imagine
RHN is the same way, but we have a sour taste in our mouth from our RHN
experiences a few years back and have not reconsidered it seriously
because Yum meets all our needs except the licensed-software bit and
it's low priority.

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.