[Yum-devel] Package update metadata

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jan 17 03:22:42 UTC 2006

> I started writing some prototype code for the server (simple cgi script)
> and client (createrepo) and ran into a few design questions that we need
> to answer:
>
>  o Flat file or database backend for the metadata server ?
>    - if db driven, who should build the actual metadata structure, the
>      server or the client ? (server takes data, makes metadata XML, sends
>      to client -- or client recieves data, then creates XML).

to make it as easy as possible to deploy elsewhere a flat file is great.
Very few requirements with a flatfile and that makes it easier for
others to use it, too.

>  o 1 package == 1 query ?
>    - I was thinking we could allow createrepo to just send the server a
>      single query with every package in the repo and have the server just
>      send a compressed XMLball back with all of the metadata.  Just an
>      idea.

why add the complexity of having the server compress and make this
tarball.

why not:
pkg1 = query1 = answer1

fine - it might be 3000 queries but their light connections rather than
starting a tar process on the server for who knows how many files.