[Yum-devel] Package update metadata

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Sat Jan 14 19:49:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:39:01AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> I think just shoving them in 'repodata' would be messy. Maybe something
> off of there, though, so we can always find them.

I agree.

> However I think we should sort out the order of operations for getting
> this data in the right place.
>
> What we had discussed before for this was:
>
> 1. update info is out there in some db accessible via a cgi or generated
> into these files accessible somewhere.

Since the update system is internal, we'll have to have it push the
metadata somewhere external, which is fine.

> 2. user wants to make a repo out of some packages and wants to include
> this update information in his/her repodata.
> 3. user runs:
>  createrepo
> --update-info-location=http://url/to/cgi/or/something /path/to/pkgs
>
> 4. createrepo grabs the update info .xml files from that cgi or path.
>

> Does that still make sense or is it just dumb, now?

Makes perfect sense.  So we're talking about createrepo talking to a
central update server (via xmlrpc, or even just pull down the file
itself with urlgrabber based on a common pkg-ver-rel.xml filename) to
acquire the metadata.  Sounds reasonsable; I really can't think of any
other logical way to accomplish this at the moment.

luke