[Yum-devel] mock group

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jan 11 06:10:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 03:53 +1100, Alan Milligan wrote:
> Seth,
>
> I'm just integrating mock into our Zope-based all-singing-and-dancing
> distribution building platform.
>
> [ Strangely, I couldn't import mock from /usr/bin, but py_compiling it
> and then importing works fine ...]
>
> Can you explain the [group] functionality for me.  Is it actually a
> special case - or is that purely an implementation artifact??
>
> It seems to be a strange combination of repodata and comps.xml.  For the
> moment, I'm using the delivered fedora.org repository, but am
> considering implementing it locally in the event of needing to control
> this as well.
>
> We already have a Zope-based YumRepository class which wraps createrepo
> functionality and dynamically creates and serves yum requirements from
> Zope, however, it doesn't include buildroots.xml
>
> Similarly, our RPMDistro Zope instances encapsulate generating
> comps.xml's from Zope objects but it ain't called buildroots.xml (yet...)
>
> Would I be right to think that while groups *does* need to be a
> repodata, it must return a proper buildroots.xml, but the remaining
> repodata files just need to deliver buildsys-macros packages??
>
> Is this actually necessary?  Could this all just be incorporated into
> other channel(s) instead?

all the groups stuff does is use a yum group to specify the contents of
the chroot at different stages. It's just for consistency and
ease-of-editing.

And, to be clear, that mechanism is probably going away.

I need to spend some time dumping out the groups stuff from mock - we'll
be doing away with it for a package which manages that list of packages
needed.

it simplifies a number of things, unfortunately.