[Yum-devel] minor patch for kernel-module plugin

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Thu Jan 5 14:48:33 UTC 2006

Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was just testing different yum plugins in yumex, and found out that
> the kernel-module plugin dont have any plugin type definded,
> so it will not get loaded in yumex and pup, (They only load TYPE_CORE
> plugins) so i made a little patch.

Thank you Tim.  Our users had just brought this up this week.  It's
great to see it's already fixed before I have to ask.

> What about making a yum-utils-plugins rpm in Fedora Extras with all the
> plugins in yum-utils\plugins with enabled=0 in the conf files.
> I would make it easier for users to start using some of the great plugins.

What we did in Scientific Linux was we sortof munged together our own
yum-utils src.rpm.  Basically we took yum-utils, took out the plugin's
we currently don't see a need for, or didn't look stable, put in the
ones that we did need.  Then when we built the rpm ,it broke out each
plugin into it's own rpm.  Each plugin has it's configuration file
turned to be on.

Basically, if someone want's a yum plugin, then install that plugin's
rpm, and it's turned on automatically for them.  If they no longer want
that plugin, they can either remove the rpm, or change the config file
by hand.
We have alot of users that don't like messing with configuration files,
so this get's them what they want, without having to mess with the
configurations.

> I have thougt about make a dialog in yumex for enable/disable the
> installed plugins to make it easier for the user to
> use plugins.

I think this would be a good idea.  If for nothing else, so that they
can see what plugin's are going to be used.

Troy Dawson