[Yum-devel] RFE: Single source of metadata, but use mirrorlist for packages

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:36:20 UTC 2006

For not the first time, I just did the following to get today's Fedora
rawhide updates:
- Edit fedora-devel.repo to point only to download.fedora.redhat.com
- yum clean metadata
- yum check-update
- Edit fedora-devel.repo to use the mirrorlist again
- yum update

Basically, the problem was that the mirror I happened to get the
metadata from initially wasn't synchronised with the latest packages,
so I forced it to download the metadata from the master server and
then let it choose a mirror to do the update.

Is it realistic to add something like this to yum? So you could
specify the master site as the source of metadata, but download the
packages from any up-to-date mirror to avoid killing the master
completely.

(If the response is "write a plug-in" ... I can try, but my Python
skills are not great. :) )

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster