[Yum-devel] clean up sooner

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Feb 17 06:30:32 UTC 2006

> I've tried to think of problems that could be caused by switching the
> order of transactions such that each old package is removed immediately
> after the new package is installed.  I came up with three items:
>
> 1) scriptlets could behave incorrectly if they are executed at a
> different time than they are expecting.
>
> 2) dependencies for packages being upgraded later in the transaction may
> be temporarily broken as the old versions of the packages earlier in the
> transaction are removed.
>
> 3) Since this is different behavior that what RPM does, there could be
> unknown integration issues.
>
> Seth, I think your idea of a transaction log that could be replayed is
> an interesting one and a much safer choice.

We'd need to break apart each element of the transaction and probably
just insert them into a sqlite db. Then as we complete that element just
delete the entry, etc, etc. Then if yum starts up and finds elements in
the db then it could maybe tell the user that it exited w/o completing
and they should do 'something' to make it better.

That was sorta what I was thinking about. I guess it doesn't need to be
a sqlite db - but that seemed the easiest way to track the transaction
elements.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for storing that information?