[Yum-devel] [urlgrabber] keepalive broken

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Sun Dec 17 22:02:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:59:14PM -0500, James Bowes wrote:
> It sounds like I just totally screwed up the keepalive stuff :/
> Attached is a simple patch for the obvious stuff; I'll have to look into
> this a lot more.

Keepalive is hairy.  Id like to find a way to fold in the m2crypto
stuff that isn't very "intrusive".  Basically, here's what I'd like to
see:

  * I'd like m2crypto to be off unless explicitly requested by passing
    in the ssl_context arg.  For further simplicity, I'd like to JUST
    take a context.  The problem is that turning a cert file into a
    context requires caching so we don't have to recreate a context
    every time.  That's the ick I don't like.  The calling code will
    almost certaily be able to do that more cleanly that we can in
    urlgrabber since they KNOW what they want.

  * I'd like to minimize the SPECIFIC operations of m2 in urlgrabber
    and keepalive.  You have sslfactory now, but it may be best to
    expand on that.  If wee need something to derive from both m2's
    HTTPSHander and keepalives (or just rewrite to cover both) then
    that's where it should go.

Now, this second point will require some work.  It may require
rearranging urlgrabber code a bit and I'm fine with that.  If thinks
need to become more general and flexible, then great.  However, I'd
rather go that route.  Does that make sense?  Much of this is shame on
me for not looking more closely at the patch at first.  Anyway, think
on this, and I will too, and then lets chat a bit more over the next
couple of days.
					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G