[Yum-devel] yum on an olpc machine (slooooooooooow)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Dec 16 18:56:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, seth vidal wrote:
> Except that we were maintaining multiple copies of the same data created
> at different times from different sources and containing subtly
> different content when we had rpmdb-redhat + hdlist + repodata. This
> would be an optional optimization that doesn't change the content, only
> lets systems download what they would end up creating on their own
> system anyway.
>
> It's like downloading a binary rpm instead of a srpm. You can take the
> srpm and make it into an rpm that will be (more or less) the same
> content as the binary rpm available on the mirror, but someone else has
> just taken the time to do it for you so you don't have to.
>
> Or maybe I'm being crazy, but I don't see it as another copy of the
> metadata. I see it as the same copy, just removing the extra processing
> of it from every person's machine and having the processing only occur
> once.

On a second thought...

What do we need the xml for then, anyway? Even on fast computers the
repodata format is very expensive to process (otherwise we wouldn't have
had several generations of pickle and sqlite caches).

I would actually welcome a new format which is fast to process and search
*as is*. Be it sqlite db or whatever reasonably portable.

 	- Panu -