[Yum-devel] yum on an olpc machine (slooooooooooow)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Dec 16 16:09:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 17:35 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > -bash-3.1# time yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo='extras' list
> > available >> /dev/null
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > looks like it is less important on the olpc machine. given the numbers.
> > It shaves a little less than a second. Keep in mind in that run of 1m38s
> > it is only parsing primary.xml.gz for extras.
>
> That's because you're redirecting output of both to /dev/null. Time it
> without that redirection like it was in my examples.

Do you seriously think it's going to shave off massive amounts of time
to suddenly make the processing time USABLE if I don't redirect it
to /dev/null?

So I did the tests w/o /dev/null. It shaved off 7 seconds out of 4m35s
for the makecache run.

so it dropped to 4m28s

This feels like deckchair shuffling.

So let's step away from the deckchair shuffling and do a run of 'yum
list available' w/o any special options or anything. This is a command
that I think someone would commonly run:

This system has 8 repos enabled:

core 2242 pkgs
olpc_devel_kernel_repo 15 pkg
updates 1098 pkgs
olpc_content 1 pkg
olpc_development 36 pkgs
extras 4984 pkgs
olpc-csound 1 pkg
olpc-etoys 15 pkgs

here is the results:

real    3m46.294s
user    2m35.380s
sys     0m11.020s

now, I'll run it again w/ the info cached so it doesn't have to do the
xml parsing:

real    1m13.360s
user    1m6.730s
sys     0m2.030s

It's still a lot of time at 1m13s so there's room for improvement in
areas outside of the metadata parsing, too.

But think about this in terms of user experience. Sit still for 2m30s
and do nothing, except count the time. It'll drive you bonkers, quickly.