[Yum-devel] [urlgrabber] keepalive broken

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Thu Dec 7 18:08:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:24:00PM +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
> >>Looks like the "SSL patch to use M2Crypto when available" breaks
> >>keepalive. Problem is that fresh instances are inserted in to the
> >>handlers list. This lets CachedOpenerDirector() fail to find a
> >>matching opener. The attached patch fixes this problem by caching
> >>HTTPSHandlers by ca_cert, ssl_context.

Thanks, Florian.  I'm gonna take some time to think about this
problem.  Basically, I'd prefer to centralize the caching.  Ideally,
it would only happen at one logical level, but at the very least I
want it to only happen in one neighborhood of the code.  Caching is
notorious for creating bugs (case in point) and so I'd prefer not to
have it scattered around.

This also makes me realize that my unit tests need to test more
"mixing" than they currently do.  Right now, keepalive tests only
probe the workings of keepalive.py, and this is an interaction issue.
Strictly, I suppose it isn't a keepalive problem at all, but a caching
problems... keepalive is the symptom you noticed, but it's also not
good to build a HUGE cache :)

Anyway, thanks, and I'm on it.  I will think for a bit, though.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G