[Yum-devel] beyond 3.0.X

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 1 15:56:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 10:10 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>  I'm looking around for things beyond 3.0.X to do in yum and I'm mostly
> seeing improvements in various things that are really just evolutionary
> changes. Enhancements but nothing major. I'm curious if maybe I'm not
> seeing enough so I'm curious what other people are interested in doing.
>
> Right now I'm interested in:
>  - speeding things up where possible
>  - making sure we can simplify writing other tools using yum
>  - robustifying portions of the code for failures
>  - enhancing our error reporting
>
> What do y'all think matters?

I think that evolutionary and not huge amounts of churn would be good
for a 3.2.  Things that I care about/am looking into getting going in
the next little bit:
 - actually getting the python 2.5 stuff committed
 - trying to get the infrastructure for handling CDs pushed down into
yum
 - as always, look at profiling for speedups and memory usage
improvements

If 3.2 isn't huge API changes[1], I'd be very happy :-)

Jeremy

[1] In fact, it'd be nice if 3.2 were completely API compatible.
Perhaps some things are deprecated, but if things keep working then
we're better off I think.