[Yum-devel] unused/useless methods

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Fri Aug 25 07:55:11 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>  Anyone know of a way of finding out if a method has gone stale? I've
> been sifting through a lot of this stuff and I've found methods that are
> no longer used or used in once place where they can be easily replaced.
> Anyone know of anything other than grep to find these?

I haven't used it myself but Ned Batchelder's coverage.py[1] tool might
help. It comes highly recommended. It tells you which lines of code were
run when a Python program runs. You could run all the major operations
that Yum can do and then find what code isn't called. It might help you
narrow down to the code that is rarely/never called.

Menno

[1] http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/modules/coverage.html