[Yum-devel] Default plugin init, option parsers, and ligers

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 16:23:19 UTC 2006

So, Luke hit something where if you do
  python -c 'import yum; my = yum.YumBase(); my.doConfigSetup()'
with a plugin like downloadonly installed, you get a traceback as there
isn't an option parser available for the plugin to hook into.  The same
was actually true with 2.6.x, except that you had to explicitly
initialize plugins.

Does it make sense to either
a) Switch back to where plugins are only initialized if you pass
init_plugins=True to doConfigSetup
b) Ensure that there's always an OptionParser available to plugins, even
if it's by creating a dummy one when the plugins ask for one
c) Make it more clear that plugins can't count on an OptionParser
existing at all and fix up offenders
d) Something else?

Jeremy

PS No ligers.  Just checking to see who's paying attention :-)