[Yum-devel] deltarpm plugin

Mihai Ibanescu misa+yum at redhat.com
Thu Aug 17 15:24:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:02:22AM -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 12:41 +0200, Marcel Hild wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i wrote a first yum plugin to use deltarpm (this constructs a delta of
> > the installed rpm and the to-be-installed on and thus saves bandwidth).
> >
> > As of now the plugin relies on a server side, which creates those
> > deltarpms. The server side currently works with a RH Satellite Server.
> >
> > It should be easy to make the server side working with normal
> > repositories. This is what i'll work on next.
> >
> > As this is my first yum plugin, i would really appreciate if you have a
> > quick look at the attached plugin code, if there are any major flaws :)
>
> Dumb question - where is deltarpm-python to be found, is there any
> reason it's not in the appropriate location under python site-arch (from
> distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)).
>
> It doesn't seem to be part of Mihai's package:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/misa/rpms/deltarpm/deltarpm-3.3-3.src.rpm

I am not aware of deltarpm python bindings, and I'd be a bit cautious to use
them anyway.

I looked at the code briefly, and maybe it's just me and my lack of exposure
to C programming lately, but it doesn't look very pretty. There is a _ton_ of
pointer manipulation there, and I am not sure how well it handles malformed or
malicious packages. Running it as a subprocess is probably what I'd do as the
first step.

I suspect you looked at Marcel's code and found references to deltarpm-python?

Misa