[Yum-devel] resolving dependencies from repodata

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 16:04:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 02:00 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 21:49 -0400, Jay Soffian wrote:
> > Yes, I'm interested in doing this, but I don't fully understand the
> > issue. Can you elaborate a little on the conflict issue? Perhaps
> > providing an example would make the light go on in my head. I'm
> > confused about when the repodata is sufficient and when it is not.
> >

> > I did some reading of the yum-devel archives and I thought an
> > eventual goal was to not need to download headers. If this is the
> > case, why isn't the complete filelist+checksum+datastamps of each
> > file kept in filelist.xml?
>
> It is an eventual goal, absolutely it's just not something that's had
> someone to focus on it in a while.
>
> It's being handled in a similar way inside anaconda in FC5. However,
> there are a couple of things that probably need to get solved before we
> can count on it.

I'm looking at how we can plumb in the option of doing this into yum for
FC6 in the best possible way.

> The reason why the full filelist+checksum+datestamp isn't in the
> filelists.xml is b/c it would be HUGE to download as opposed to merely
> BIG to download as it is now.

Also we'd have to look at duplicating things such as overlapping file
awareness with multilib in yum, which seems excessive - I think it's
fine for us to ts.check late after depsolving in python as we do in
anaconda.  We might also look at breaking up into smaller transactions
for some things.

My aim isn't to duplicate RPM functionality in yum, but to let us deal
with things like the split repo setups on CDs where we want to restrict
CD changes and can do a decent job of depsolving with the metadata.

Paul