[Yum-devel] kernel-module plugin

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Mon Sep 26 19:22:54 UTC 2005

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I hate to be the person who keeps digging up the undead ... but,
>> someone has to do it.
>>
>> Has anyone started working on a plugin for yum 2.4 that will do the
>> proper stuff with kernel-module rpm's?
>> I was about to start and didn't want to duplicate effort.
>

> It's hard to work on that because nobody agrees on how to package kernel
> modules :-/ I have a plugin to handle upgrading of kernel-module-<uname
> -r>-<version> style kernel module packages and there's some support for
> the proposed FE kernel module packaging style in yum itself, but...
>
>> On a related question.  Has a better way been developed for installing
>> kernel modules?
>

> Depends on which of the various schemes you refer to as the current :)
>
>     - Panu -

Hi Panu,
Would you be able to send me your plugin.
I guess you're right in that nobody agreed on which format.  We do
kernel-module-<module name>-<uname -r>.  The module's version number is
then the rpm's version number.
But I think I should be able to modify your's enough to work with ours.
  And I'll at least not be starting from scratch if it comes to a whole
new re-write.

Thanks
Troy