[Yum-devel] kernel-module plugin

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Mon Sep 26 14:58:05 UTC 2005

> Yeah, I've pretty much given up on hope on the subject. At work we use
> the kernel-uname-in-package-name approach, simply because the other
> alternatives don't make life any easier really. Especially considering
> that both our users and our tools have already been taught how to deal
> with that (ugly) scheme and changing a non-optimal solution to another
> non-optimal is only pain without gain.

We implemented custom init scripts for drivers will require re-linking
against new kernels.  For example, our "check_nvidia_module" init script
runs a "strings" on the nvidia.o/.ko file and looks for the currently-
booting kernel.  If the module is missing or contains the wrong kernel,
the module is re-linked against the kernel.  This isn't as nice as the
Nvidia modules from ATrpms, but it works for us.

We've done the same for IBM Rational ClearCase and a few other binary-
only drivers.

This obviously doesn't work for things which must be built against the
new kernel and placed in initrd before the reboot, but it works in the
majority of our cases and we don't have to maintain tons of kernel-
uname-in-package-name RPMs.

/Brian/