[Yum-devel] kernel-module plugin

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 23 15:25:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:34:01PM -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> >Howdy,
> >
> >I hate to be the person who keeps digging up the undead ... but, someone
> >has to do it.
> >
> >Has anyone started working on a plugin for yum 2.4 that will do the proper
> >stuff with kernel-module rpm's?
> >I was about to start and didn't want to duplicate effort.
>
> It's hard to work on that because nobody agrees on how to package kernel
> modules :-/ I have a plugin to handle upgrading of kernel-module-<uname
> -r>-<version> style kernel module packages and there's some support for
> the proposed FE kernel module packaging style in yum itself, but...
>
> >On a related question.  Has a better way been developed for installing
> >kernel modules?

All the info I have is from the fedora-packaging list.  There are a
couple examples on the fedora project wiki.  I've got the current code
in Yum, but I've become rather frusterated by the current state of
things as discussed on the fedora-packaging list.  Basically, stuff kept
getting changed/added to avoid certain side effects for how we wanted to
build the packages.  The resulting example spec file is convulted,
complex, and horrid.  I'd never expect someone to work through all that
pain to maintain a kernel module.

Jack

> Depends on which of the various schemes you refer to as the current :)
>
> 	- Panu -

Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead
PAMS Computer Operations at NC State University
GPG Fingerprint: 1917 5AC1 E828 9337 7AA4  EA6B 213B 765F 3B6A 5B89