[Yum-devel] yum macros support

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 14:08:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 10:01 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 09:50 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > I'm working on yum macros support - a first "get it working" version of
> > the patch is in the rawhide yum so I can get anaconda working (I needed
> > to use whiteout), and work through any remaining issues there.
> >
> > The idea is to combine this into the config class work, I'll be looking
> > at getting a patch to list asap.

> You mean rpm-macros support for yum, right?

Yes, setting of arbitrary rpm macros for yum

> Can you explain how whiteout works for those of us who have been happily
> ignorant of it? :)

Whiteout basically provides a way for you to snip dependency loops, ie
  lvm depends on kernel
  kernel depends on initscripts
  initscripts depends on lvm
so that you can get a deterministic ordering on install.

FWIW, we shouldn't end up actually having to set whiteout in its current
form at least once we move to doing the transaction ordering from within
yum.

Jeremy