[Yum-devel] enable yum to pass http data to repository

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Mon Nov 21 17:09:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:34:19AM -0500, Bryan Mills wrote:
> Then as a user you could either put the password in the config file or
> yum could prompt you for it.  Of course this doesn't work for mirror
> lists (just a single base url).
>
> Thoughts?

I think what you propose is too complex for yum.  I think there are
too many config options.  All of this stuff would really be used only
be the extreme expert who is setting up some wacky custom
authentication system and so it's reasonable to give them a more "raw"
interface.

I've looked over your patches.  For the most part, I have no major
objection.  I agree that there's a bit of a short-coming in the mirror
code because you can't append stuff onto the end (like a query).
However, I'd prefer to make it a bit more general and not try to make
it too smart.  I don't like the idea of having urlgrabber cleverly
split up the url and insert stuff in-between.  I also don't really
like the "query" option which then tries to decipher whether you're
using GET or POST.  I'd much rather just have an "append" option which
tacks stuff onto the end of the url.  It can be a query, more
directory structure, or whatever.  You can still use the "data" arg
for passing POST data.

How does that sound?  You would still be able to do everything you
want: you use the "append" arg for GET queries and the "data" arg for
POST queries.

It would then be up to Seth whether or not he wanted to make these
options available in the yum config file.  I'm just talking about
urlgrabber changes.
					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G